Show All College Notices Announcements
2013 1098-T Tax Form Information Now Available
Visit the College Notices home page
Date: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - Saturday, March 15, 2014
Description: What is this IRS 1098-T "Tuition Statement" form?
The 1098-T "Tuition Statement" gives a report on the qualified tuition and related expense activity for a student during a given tax year. This information is reported to the IRS and acknowledges that a taxpayer may be eligible to claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit (formerly called the Hope Scholarship Credit) or the Lifetime Learning Credit.
Can I receive my 1098-T electronically?
Lakeland Community College, in conjunction with ECSI, is offering you the opportunity to receive your 1098-T Tuition Statement Tax Form electronically this year. If you would like to receive your 1098-T form electronically, please give your consent by following the link provided below and following the step by step instructions.
The benefits to receiving electronic notification are:
- Online delivery provides access to the form 1098-T earlier than the traditional mailing process.
- Online delivery eliminates the chance that the 1098-T will get lost, misdirected or delayed during delivery, or misplaced once the student receives it.
- Signing up for online delivery is easy and secure.
- Students can receive their 1098-T form even while traveling or on assignment away from their home address.
To give consent to receive your 1098-T form electronically, click on the link below and follow the simple instructions to sign up!
- ECSI Website: http://www.ecsi.net/gateway/1098t-signup.html?school=FB
- Signup for Electronic Tax Documents by entering your Student ID#, Name, and Email Address (with the option to include an alternate email address). ECSI's website is a secure website and ECSI will not share your private information with anyone. This email is strictly sent to gather your consent for receiving an electronic 1098-T Form.
- Read information, check box and click submit.
If you have any questions, please visit http://www.ecsi.net/taxinfo.html for information regarding your tax documents and to obtain contact information for ECSI. If you need assistance, contact ESCI's Hotline number at 866-428-1098.
I received a 1098-T in the mail. Do I owe money to the college?
Form 1098-T is not a bill.
Why did I receive the 1098-T form?
A 1098-T form is generated for each student who has been billed for qualified tuition and related expenses during the calendar year, who has had a scholarship or grant disbursed to their account during the calendar year, or who has had an adjustment to the previous year.
If I receive Form 1098-T, does it mean that I qualify for the education tax credits or tuition and fees deduction?
No, receipt of the form does not mean that you necessarily qualify. Lakeland Community College is required to provide Form 1098-T to individuals who were billed for qualified tuition and fees during 2013. To determine your eligibility, see the Internal Revenue Service Publication 970 www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf or contact your personal tax advisor. The insert which was mailed to you with the 1098-T has a summary of recent changes to education tax credits.
Do I need to attach Form 1098-T to my tax return?
No. You do not need to attach the 1098-T form to your tax return. Instead, you should keep it with your tax records.
Do I need the College's Tax ID number in order to file for this tax credit?
The college Tax ID number is not required for filing for the tax credit.
Why did I not receive a 1098-T form when I attended Lakeland Community College?
There are several possibilities:
- You attended Lakeland in Spring 2013, but you registered in calendar year 2012 and were therefore billed in 2012.
- Lakeland did not have a valid United States mailing address on file for you.
- You are classified as a non-resident alien.
- Your billed amounts consisted of only non-credit courses.
What if my personal information on the 1098-T form is wrong and needs to be updated?
Your personal information was taken from the student information that was available in January 2014. If you wish to update this information, you should contact the Admissions and Registration office at 440.525.7100.
Why does the 1098-T form show billed amounts instead of payments?
Educational institutions may choose to report either payments received or amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses, but not both. Lakeland has chosen to report the amounts billed, so Box 1 will be blank on all forms. Box 2 includes tuition charges placed on your account in 2013 (not payments). Please refer to your cancelled checks and credit card statements to determine amounts paid in calendar year 2013.
I have questions about the amounts on my form. Who do I contact?
You can view the detail of the amounts in each of the boxes, term by term, by logging into my.lakelandcc.edu. There is a Personal Announcement regarding 1098-Ts for 2013 which will explain how to view the 2013 form.
Once you have viewed them, if you still have questions, call the 1098-T phone line: 440.525.7725. You will hear a voice message. Please leave your question, name, LID, and phone number, with an area code. We will return your call the next business day.